About Me

My photo
We love to travel and find new things to do together as a family. This blog shares our thoughts about the places we explore, mainly in the Metropolitan DC area (Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, sometimes referenced at the DMV). And, occasionally we will write about places we visit on our vacations. Sometimes you just wish someone had told you "Don't waste your time or money" before you went somewhere, or sometimes you're going on vacation and want some insight on family-friendly things to do. We hope this blog will come in handy for you and your family. If you have suggestions for places to visit, please share them with us. Happy reading!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Eastern Market

I love art festivals, flea markets, salvage yards and anywhere else I can find cool things to use in our home, but it's always a struggle to get my husband to go to these things (he says it's boring), and my daughter usually will try to get out of it too (but I can always fix her with a little bribe). I think the day we went was one of those special occasions that I get to pick what we do and get no resistance from the family (like my birthday or our anniversary) so I chose the Eastern Market in Washington, DC. They didn't roll their eyes at me when I suggested it but I know they probably gave each other one of "those looks" behind my back. Nevertheless, they both said "Suuuuure Mom" and agreed to go along with no complaining.

The Eastern Market is in the historic Capitol Hill neighborhood in DC and year-round on weekends is a combination farmer's market, flea market and street fair all rolled into one. The street is blocked off to traffic and both indoor and outdoor vendors line both sides of the street with local fresh produce, handmade jewelry, leather goods, pottery, other arts & crafts and even a local band playing music.

Even though they went to make me happy, I watched my family looking in at every stall, admiring and trying things on, sampling and buying produce, and even offering to buy me things! Oh, and I forgot to mention the homemade kettle corn, churros and cotton candy which made the whole trip worth it for them. So what could have been a disaster with me dragging two long faces behind me while I looked for treasures, turned out to be a lovely afternoon with the family. Definitely somewhere I'd visit again.
Kid's View: "I think it was cool because there were a lot of shops with neat things to look at. I tried on a bunch of funky sunglasses and I loved the churros and the kettle corn." 

Eastern Market: http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment