About Me

My photo
We love to travel and find new things to do together as a family. This blog shares our thoughts about the places we explore, mainly in the Metropolitan DC area (Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia, sometimes referenced at the DMV). And, occasionally we will write about places we visit on our vacations. Sometimes you just wish someone had told you "Don't waste your time or money" before you went somewhere, or sometimes you're going on vacation and want some insight on family-friendly things to do. We hope this blog will come in handy for you and your family. If you have suggestions for places to visit, please share them with us. Happy reading!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring Friends School

This place rocks!!! Well, actually it swings and zips....  This adventure in the trees is great for ages 5 and up and is exciting and completely safe! After putting on your harness and getting a brief lesson in climbing and zipping, you're off to choose between 13 different courses ranging from easy to very difficult. Each course ends with a zip-line but before you get to do them, you have to cross the "bridges" through the trees made from rope and wood. Some of the courses are close to the ground and some of the courses are waaaaay up high.



My daughter and her friends (and even some parents) made it through the medium level courses, and a couple very brave ones did the hard ones. On one of the zip-lines she didn't make it all the way to the other side, zipped back to the middle of the line and "dangled" there really high up until a staff member climbed up to rescue her. (I wasn't worried though, she was holding on tight and the double harness was secure).

I think it's a little pricey at $40-$50/person for 3 hours but worth it. They didn't want to leave! Great place for birthday parties too. There's a picnic area that you can reserve, you can bring food and drinks (no alcohol) into the park or you can even have the local Domino's Pizza deliver there to your group. Bathrooms facilities are portable. Be sure to bring your bug repellant!

I wasn't brave enough to try it that day but I definitely want to try it next time!
Kid's View: "I really, really liked it because it was up in the trees and lots of fun and had difficult obstacles. I was very scared when I got stuck in the middle of the big zip-line because it was really high up and I couldn't pull myself back to the platform. I like that some of the zip-lines went over water and how they had different ratings on the courses. My favorite ones were the green ones. I would love to have my birthday party there!"
http://www.sandyspringadventurepark.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment